[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP monitor, silly question

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Tue Dec 22 09:06:31 UTC 2009

"G8KBV" <g8kbv at nospam-uko2.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MPG.2599f4f8b90958d1989692 at news.demon.co.uk...
[]
> Phew!...
>
> So it looks like it is working at it's best anyway, excelent.

Yes, it's good news!

> I can (as a small time programmer with Delphi) appreciate the complexity
> of all this, in particular in regards to what messages, status values,
> flags etc are presented to the user.

Now knowing that "o" means kernel-mode, I am much happier.  I had better
document that on my Web page about user-mode versus kernel-mode so I
remember next time!  Done:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html#kernel-check

Comments and corrections welcome.

> I'll leave it as it is then for now at least, as I've just been called
> upon to go provide transport and driver (my other toy and me) to relieve
> others who are keeping a vilage alive since they lost water, gas and
> electricity, so I'd better get my kit sorted out for an early dark
> start, for some 12 hours plus volunteer work.   Eu working time
> directives do not apply!  <G>
>
> Oh yes, just checked, we're down to 5uS offset, and 8uS jitter, somewhat
> better than 'net based synchronisation!  ;-)
>
> Thanks All.
>
> Dave Baxter.

Batteries charged, I hope!  For some of my kit I have gone to the Sanyo
eneloops, as they lose their charge much more slowly.  Global warming -
with this cold weather?  <G>

You will find that for the best performance, the NTP PC needs to be left
running, as initial settling is not quick.

73,
David