[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP monitor, silly question

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 22 13:07:47 UTC 2009

David J Taylor wrote:
> "G8KBV" <g8kbv at nospam-uko2.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:MPG.2599f4f8b90958d1989692 at news.demon.co.uk...
> []
>> Phew!...
>>
>> So it looks like it is working at it's best anyway, excelent.
>
> Yes, it's good news!
>
>> I can (as a small time programmer with Delphi) appreciate the complexity
>> of all this, in particular in regards to what messages, status values,
>> flags etc are presented to the user.
>
> Now knowing that "o" means kernel-mode, I am much happier.  I had better
> document that on my Web page about user-mode versus kernel-mode so I
> remember next time!  Done:
>
>  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html#kernel-check
>
> Comments and corrections welcome.
>
>> I'll leave it as it is then for now at least, as I've just been called
>> upon to go provide transport and driver (my other toy and me) to relieve
>> others who are keeping a vilage alive since they lost water, gas and
>> electricity, so I'd better get my kit sorted out for an early dark
>> start, for some 12 hours plus volunteer work.   Eu working time
>> directives do not apply!  <G>
>>
>> Oh yes, just checked, we're down to 5uS offset, and 8uS jitter, somewhat
>> better than 'net based synchronisation!  ;-)
>>
>> Thanks All.
>>
>> Dave Baxter.
>
> Batteries charged, I hope!  For some of my kit I have gone to the Sanyo
> eneloops, as they lose their charge much more slowly.  Global warming -
> with this cold weather?  <G>
>
> You will find that for the best performance, the NTP PC needs to be left
> running, as initial settling is not quick.

"Not quick" is an extreme understatement!  It takes about 30 minutes to
get a "reasonable approximation".  It can take ten to twelve hours to
stabilize with the best possible approximation of the time.  Once there
it's good for as long as you can keep the power on and the temperature
reasonably stable.