[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP monitor, silly question

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Tue Dec 22 14:30:24 UTC 2009

"Richard B. Gilbert" <> wrote in message
news:ZJydnVuvufm1Wa3WnZ2dnUVZ_h2dnZ2d at giganews.com...
[]
>> You will find that for the best performance, the NTP PC needs to be
>> left running, as initial settling is not quick.
>>

> "Not quick" is an extreme understatement!  It takes about 30 minutes to
> get a "reasonable approximation".  It can take ten to twelve hours to
> stabilize with the best possible approximation of the time.  Once there
> it's good for as long as you can keep the power on and the temperature
> reasonably stable.

Richard,

On one LAN-synced system it took bout 90 minutes to get to within its
normal offset range, and about the same on a Windows-XP system with a GPS
reference clock.  On the Windows-7 system, with a GPS ref-clock, it took
about 5 hours.

I do wish there were some way of speeding this up - a variable loop
bandwidth or something like that.

Cheers,
David