[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP monitor, silly question

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 22 15:04:16 UTC 2009

David J Taylor wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <> wrote in message
> news:ZJydnVuvufm1Wa3WnZ2dnUVZ_h2dnZ2d at giganews.com...
> []
>>> You will find that for the best performance, the NTP PC needs to be
>>> left running, as initial settling is not quick.
>>>

>> "Not quick" is an extreme understatement!  It takes about 30 minutes
>> to get a "reasonable approximation".  It can take ten to twelve hours
>> to stabilize with the best possible approximation of the time.  Once
>> there it's good for as long as you can keep the power on and the
>> temperature reasonably stable.
>
> Richard,
>
> On one LAN-synced system it took bout 90 minutes to get to within its
> normal offset range, and about the same on a Windows-XP system with a
> GPS reference clock.  On the Windows-7 system, with a GPS ref-clock, it
> took about 5 hours.
>
> I do wish there were some way of speeding this up - a variable loop
> bandwidth or something like that.

Lots of luck.  My understanding is that it can't be done without loss of
accuracy and/or stability.

I keep my system running 24x7 except when we have a power outrage
lasting longer than the run time of the UPS.

If your power is insufficiently reliable, consider a UPS and a gasoline
  (or natural gas) powered generator.  If it's important enough to spend
money on, you can make it almost bullet proof!