[ntp:questions] A faster settling NTP (was: Re: Meinberg NTP monitor, silly question)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Tue Dec 22 20:09:44 UTC 2009

"Richard B. Gilbert" <> wrote in message
news:wfKdnRhdnr8nvazWnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d at giganews.com...
> unruh wrote:
[]
>> Nonsense. chrony does it, without loss of accuracy (chrony is about 3
>> times as accurate as ntp is) or stability. It will correct a few
>> hundred
>> second initial error in far less time than ntp takes for a .01 sec
>> error,
>> and without stepping.
>
> Then why don't you use chrony and stop bugging us?  If it can replace
> NTPD under most common scenarios for normal and emergency operation and
> do a better job, I'm sure that it will eventually replace NTPD.  Does
> anyone see that happening yet?

I would be quite happy to try chrony were it not for the fact that it
doesn't work with Windows and it doesn't support reference clocks.

I would be even happier if there were a version of NTP available which, as
an option, had a fast convergence algorithm for its initial operation, and
switched to the existing NTP algorithm once initial stability had been
achieved.

Cheers,
David