[ntp:questions] A faster settling NTP

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 22 20:42:31 UTC 2009

David J Taylor wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <> wrote in message
> news:wfKdnRhdnr8nvazWnZ2dnUVZ_judnZ2d at giganews.com...
>> unruh wrote:
> []
>>> Nonsense. chrony does it, without loss of accuracy (chrony is about 3
>>> times as accurate as ntp is) or stability. It will correct a few hundred
>>> second initial error in far less time than ntp takes for a .01 sec
>>> error,
>>> and without stepping.
>>
>> Then why don't you use chrony and stop bugging us?  If it can replace
>> NTPD under most common scenarios for normal and emergency operation
>> and do a better job, I'm sure that it will eventually replace NTPD.
>> Does anyone see that happening yet?
>
> I would be quite happy to try chrony were it not for the fact that it
> doesn't work with Windows and it doesn't support reference clocks.
>
> I would be even happier if there were a version of NTP available which,
> as an option, had a fast convergence algorithm for its initial
> operation, and switched to the existing NTP algorithm once initial
> stability had been achieved.

You have the ability to set at least one of the two key variables: the
time.  The frequency can be set from a file when ntpd starts.  If you
know both the time and frequency for conditions then obtaining you have
all you need.  If you cold started the computer you are SOL!

I think that ntpd was designed for continuous or very nearly continuous
operation.  If you boot up after dinner, read your mail, and shut down
again you might as well get a "radio controlled" wrist watch and forget
about NTP.  If you want time from NTP plan on running NTPD 24x7x365.
Try to control the temperature in the room to a constant value.  If you
can maintain a steady 68 degrees F 24x365 you should be able to keep
time within a very small fraction of a second.

Anyone who thinks he can boot up, get the correct time to within
microseconds and shut down again is living in a dream world!

Windows is a poor choice of O/S for the job.  Try Linux or Solaris.
Either will run on the X86 architecture.