[ntp:questions] A faster settling NTP

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.delete-this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid
Tue Dec 22 21:59:22 UTC 2009

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:xrOdnUgQK7Mhs6zWnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d at giganews.com...
[]
> Anyone who thinks he can boot up, get the correct time to within
> microseconds and shut down again is living in a dream world!
>
> Windows is a poor choice of O/S for the job.  Try Linux or Solaris.
> Either will run on the X86 architecture.

But Linux and Solaris will not run all the programs and device drivers I
need to run!  The OS is a given and is not going to change.  The
engineering challenge is: given a particular OS, do the best timekeeping
job you can.

Where did I say I needed microseconds?  In fact settling to within one
millisecond would be fine for /my/ applications.

I am already down to the level of seeing exactly what Bill was saying
could be done better with chrony than with NTP - the settling time to a
given accuracy, so I think that addressing the algorithm rather than the
choice of hardware is the most important issue here.

How about a dual-algorithm NTP?

Cheers,
David