[ntp:questions] ntp-4.2.6 doesn't compile for Windows

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 16:42:29 UTC 2009

On Dec 31, 15:47 UTC, Hassan wrote:
> I can't compile ntp-4.2.6 for windows.
> I am using Visual Studio 6.0, and i get the following error and
> warning :
>
> libntp - Win32 Release
> decodenetnum.c
> D:\MISTRAL-ClientSMDI\ntp\ntp-4.2.6\libntp\decodenetnum.c(25) : error
> C2079: 'hints' uses undefined struct 'addrinfo'
> D:\MISTRAL-ClientSMDI\ntp\ntp-4.2.6\libntp\decodenetnum.c(46) :
> warning C4013: 'getaddrinfo' undefined; assuming extern returning int

I don't have VC6 to try building with.  I can tell you with the
current compiler, struct addrinfo is declared in ws2tcpip.h, which is
included from ports/winnt/include/config.h.  I'm guessing you're using
the original SDK components (headers and libs) that came with VC6 and
predate IPv6-related structures and functions like struct addrinfo and
getaddrinfo().  Still, that doesn't quite make sense to me because I
was under the impression Danny Mayer builds NTP on VC6 using the
original VC6-bundled headers and libs successfully.

You could consider downloading and installing the free "express
edition" of VC9/Visual C++ 2008, which I know builds NTP successfully
several times a day for me:

http://www.microsoft.com/Express/VC/

Cheers,
Dave Hart