[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Wed Feb 4 20:40:07 UTC 2009

>>> In article <u42o56-sji.ln1 at gateway.py.meinberg.de>, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> writes:

Martin> By default ntpdate sends and receives packets via port 123/UDP. It
Martin> *only* sends via an unprivileged port if either -q (query only), -u
Martin> (unpriv.  port), or -d (debug) is given on the command line.

First, given that ntpdate is about to be deprecated in favor of the new SNTP
Client, while this discussion is interesting at face, I see us using this
information to guide the bahavior of the sntp code and don't expect to see
any changes to ntpdate (especially since there is no maintainer for
ntpdate).

Without thinking about this much, I agree 100% that -u should mean "not from
port 123".

I can see cases where one *might* want this behavior for -q but I'm not
certain it should be forced for -q.

I wonder quite a bit more why we would want this behavior for -d.

For either of these last two cases it should be trivial to also supply -u if
that is what was really desired.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!