[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Feb 13 02:47:48 UTC 2009

>>> In article <ST4ll.11327$Db2.8064 at edtnps83>, Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> writes:

Unruh> Why is -g inappropriate from a resttart. If the clock is still very
Unruh> close to right, it will make no difference. If for some reason on
Unruh> restart the clock is out, then -g is appropriate. Ie, I cannot see
Unruh> why it would hinder anything if it were run on restart.

I'm getting tired of repeating myself.

You are free to write your own ntp.conf files to implement whatever policy
you choose.  We already have the mechanism to support this.

This situation will improve even more when

 https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/GettingNtpdItsConfiguration

has been implemented.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>