[ntp:questions] Mixed maxpoll values for mixed LAN/Internet servers - sensible?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 09:23:34 UTC 2009

Folks,

It's been suggested that if I have a mixture of a "known-good" (i.e.
GPS/PPS-based) LAN server, and some Internet-based backup servers, I could
use an ntp configuration file with different maxpolls, with the idea that
syncing more often to a good source will produce even lower offsets.
Something like:

  server lan-gps-pps  prefer iburst  maxpoll 6
  server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst
  server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst
  server 2.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst

If I do this, is the maxpoll for the Internet servers also clamped at 6,
or will it gradually up to 1024s (10).

Is this a sensible thing to do for a client without a refclock?

Thanks,
David