[ntp:questions] Mixed maxpoll values for mixed LAN/Internet servers - sensible?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 18:49:10 UTC 2009

Dave Hart wrote:
[]
>> Thats doesn't seem to happen with my FreeBSD system, if I am
>> understanding you correctly. Admittedly I have ntpd 4.2.0-a, but all
>> servers have a 64s polls even though there is no minpoll or maxpoll
>> specified.
>
> I'm not sure how long ago the change happened, but it appears you have
> the old code in this respect.  I do see the new behavior on 4.2.4p6,
> which can be described as minpoll on a refclock is used as maxpoll for
> it only, letting maxpoll for other peers go up.
>
> When Dr. Mills first announced the change allowing the other peers'
> intervals to go up with a refclock configuration, I believe he
> observed a benefit from the mixed poll intervals, but he was thinking
> at least two levels above my pay grade and the reasoning didn't
> stick.  I can't find the message to refer to right now, but I'll try
> again later.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

Thanks, Dave.  Yes, that version was installed, and has sat there ever
since and just worked.  I do zero system maintenance on that PC, just
switch it off and on when I know the power will be going down.  So it's
old, and not as well behaved as today's versions.

I keep meaning to get the book by Dr. Mills - I have it on my Amazon gift
list - but I'm not sure how much of it I would understand!

Cheers,
David