[ntp:questions] Why can't clocks do inital synchronization?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 00:00:43 UTC 2009

jimp at specsol.spam.sux.com wrote:
> Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> jimp at specsol.spam.sux.com writes:
>>

>>> Have you never heard of calling ntpdate before starting the NTP daemon?
>>
>> uh, ntpdate is severely depricated, and ntpd -g is what is supposed to be
>> used. If ntpd -g fails it is a bug.
>>

> Uhh, lots of mainline 'nix's don't have a -g option to ntpd and still
> have ntpdate, e.g. Solaris 10.

So download the reference implementation from ntp.org and build your
own!  Both Sun's own development tools and gcc and other Gnu stuff are
available in Solaris.  Sun's development tools are a separate download
from the web site.

No vendor is going to include NTP V4 in their distribution until V4 is
standardized.  Which might happen some day or might not!  A committee
has been working on a V4 RFC for almost two years now.  We might see
results in another two or three years!  IOW, don't hold your breath!