[ntp:questions] ntpd IPv6 support on Windows?

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 20:24:07 UTC 2009

I am running Meinberg's Win32 binaries on Windows Server 2003:

ntpd 4.2.4p5 at beijing-o Sep 01 9:15:56 (UTC+02:00) 2008  (10)

It appears to me there is no support for IPv6 in these binaries.  I'm
guessing the work simply hasn't been done in the reference
implementation to support IPv6 on Windows.  Can anyone confirm that
even if I build my own binaries from source, IPv6 on Windows is not
supported?

Incidentally, their free Windows "NTP Time Server Monitor by Meinberg
v1.03a" is a nice piece of work.  I use the NTP status tab instead of
scripted "ntpq -c peers" in a loop, and their loopstats graphing makes
it easy to see how well your timeserver is performing.  If you run ntp
on a platform other than Windows but can access the filesystem via a
mapped network drive, you can use the Statistics tab to graph its
performance by clicking the triple-dot "..." button and navigating to
the directory holding the loopstats file.  You may need to enable
stats gathering in ntp.conf first:

statsdir /path/to/store/loopstats/files/
statistics loopstats

Cheers,
Dave Hart