[ntp:questions] NTP sever on an isolated Network

Diego Ramos leituras at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 21:39:16 UTC 2009

> Why not sell your old USR modem to you work. Or donate it.

I've just donate it. hehe

What is teh necessary precision you need? If it is a few msec a modem is
> fine. If it is micro seconds then use GPS.

msec is perfect because I just need video frame precision. But I'll request
a GPS anyway.

All of them have an antenna. Just buy the Garmin GPS18LVC wire it up to an
> extention line ( eg a Cat 5 network cable) of the length you need. If that
> length is longer than about 100m you need to terminate it properly and
> probably put an impedance matching amplifier on the computer end of it.

All right, but what is LVC? Where I'll connect it in my computer?

The standard is the Garmin GPS 18 LVC . NOT the USB or the PC version --
> they are completely useless for time. Only thge LVC is useful for time.
> (or the LVCX now I believe)
>
> It is about $100.
> Note that you really only need one and can use the computer it is attached
> to as a server which can -- depeding on your switches on your internal
> ethernet, give you 20microsec resolution for the time on other system
> conencted to it.

I've already got the budget to buy one for development. Thanks for the
indication.

Diego