[ntp:questions] ntpdate refusing ntp.nmi.nl

Folkert van Heusden folkert at vanheusden.com
Fri Jan 9 10:30:18 UTC 2009

> > It seems the Dutch NMi organisation (which is the time reference for the
> > Netherlands) has an NTP-service as well. Now I tried retrieving the time
> > with ntpdate (just to see if it was reachable) but ntpdate refuses it.
> > Using the regular ntp daemon works fine. Could someone enlighten me why
> > it is refused? I mean: "has gone too long without sync" seems a little
> > odd as it is supposed to be connected to real atomic clocks.
> > reference time:    cd0c473b.73087696  Mon, Jan  5 2009  9:45:47.449
> A wireshark capture shows that it sends a bogu reftime ...
> Reference Clock Update Time: Jan  5, 2009 08:45:47,4493 UTC
> Originate Time Stamp: Jan  8, 2009 10:15:39,0507 UTC
> Receive Time Stamp: Jan  8, 2009 10:15:39,0375 UTC
> Transmit Time Stamp: Jan  8, 2009 10:15:39,0376 UTC
> The Root dispersion does not look too healthy, too...
> Root Dispersion:    3,9689 sec
> This really looks like they should have a look at their NTP server and its IRIG
> source. Why this server is accepted by ntpd is a miracle for me. Only chance I
> would see is if you have no other sources configured.

Got this morning an e-mail from NMi and what they say is that they only
occasionally connect their ntp server to a source that says what time it
is. They had it connected to that irig-b because of the leapsecond and
disconnected it at January 5. The rest of the time they only have it
connected to the PPS source.

That root dispersion, does that mean the time of that clock is almost 4
seconds behind the real time (the time of the IRIG)?

Folkert van Heusden

--
                     www.ishetweekend.nl