[ntp:questions] ntpdate refusing ntp.nmi.nl

Folkert van Heusden folkert at vanheusden.com
Fri Jan 9 16:01:55 UTC 2009

> > I can't tell you that, Folkert, but, in your particular environment,
> > would /you/ trust a NTP source which was last synched 3 days ago?
>
> It is quite unclear what the purpose of this server is. The only
> documented use case (through their web site) is syncing Windows XP
> workstations (...). An actual access policy is nowehere to be found,
> and the time offset is quite large. I will try and see if I can find
> out more.

I think they're meant to give the standard time for the Netherlands:
http://nmi.nl/index.php?pageId=231&lg=nl says:
"The group of cesium clocks at NMi Van Swinden Laboratorium (VSL)
provides the standard for frequency, time interval and the legal time in
the Netherlands. NMi VSL calibrates frequency counters and frequency
generators, oscilloscopes, stroboscopes and stopwatches, frequency, time
interval, rise time and time base. NMi VSL also provides traceability to
accredited laboratories through a Time Service Bulletin.

Folkert van Heusden

--
                     www.ishetweekend.nl