[ntp:questions] refid 'STC ' ? What does "STC" signify?

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Thu Jan 22 23:32:01 UTC 2009

phreon at gmail.com writes:

>> It only takes a few seconds to grep an NTP source tree for 'STC' (or any
>> other string. Hardly a difficult task.
>>
>> --
>> Steve Kostecke <koste... at ntp.org>
>> NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/

>Grepping is easy. Which source tree shall I download and search?  How
>do I know the server in question isn't running a god awful, ancient
>SCO fork? Or isn't an appliance?

You may of course do whatever you want. Why the hell are you suddenly
getting all defensive?
Also why not tell us the address of this server that has STC as its source.

>Let us say that I spent more time than I should have on Dr. Mill's
>site and NTP.org in addition to playing with Google and this newsgroup
>before posting a question of such minor consequence. Can we put to

Lets say you did.  The next sentence is a non-sequiter.

>rest the idea that every "newbie" who posts a question in this group
>is a feckless boob who in incapable of researching even the simplest
>nugget of information? Sometimes one senses it's worth going straight
>to the experts. Honestly, this thread should have died after Martin's
>first post, but I just can't resist when RTFM is invoked.  I wonder
>how long before we bring Hitler into the fray?

???? Defensive aren't you.

Steve posted for you the complete list of refclock identifiers from the ntp
sources. Did yo usay thank you? He then suggested that you could also
search the source code for that string. I did. It does not exist.

>NTP(d) is a fantastic tool and I sincerely appreciate all the hard
>work that goes into it, but it has to be the only "defacto standard"
>tool I use, commercial or GPL, where it's suggested one should search
>software code in an attempt to decipher simple diagnostic output.  Of

Since the software produces the code, the software is the logical place to
look. It does nto exist there. Thus the server that creates that ouput must
either be hacked, or as suggested, use was made of a feature of that code
to give any name desired.

>course this is a moot point since even if there was a list of all the
>known refids and their meanings, it would be meaningless since one can
>fudge the field to be any four letter word (I can think of a few).

>FWIW, sometimes while pursuing a problem, it's just not possible to
>ring up the system in question's admin. Corporate politics is a
>strange beast.

>I think the best answer I've seen yet is in effect, "I don't know".
>Fair enough.

But you seem to have be unwilling to accept that, and you are unwilling to
accept people who go to trouble trying hard to help you.