[ntp:questions] Garmin GPS 18x LVC no soldering required

George R.Kasica georgek at netwrx1.com
Sat Jan 24 16:03:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:31:08 -0800 (PST), Dave Hart
<davehart at gmail.com> wrote:

>I came across a guy selling GPS 18x LVC with a DB-9 cable soldered on
>by him for use with some data collection device I know nothing about
>[1].  He's connected the power as well as the serial data lines to the
>DB-9, which is not what we want for refclock use.
>
>I dropped him an email asking if he'd be willing to wire one up with
>both USB for power and DB-9 to connect to a PC for NTP use.
>Apparently I wasn't the first to ask, as he responded he's been doing
>those for $100 plus shipping (and sales tax in California).
>
>Now I'm sure some will laugh, but this appeals to me despite the 50%
>premium over the basic cost of the unit.  First off, you need to
>include the cost of the USB cable and DB-9 connector, then give
>yourself some budget for your time.  I've done my share of soldering
>over the years and I suck at it, it takes me far too long.  I don't
>trust the hideous-looking results.  Put it all together and I'm happy
>to pay an expert to do it right.
>
>[1] http://psn.quake.net/gps/gps18.html
>
>Cheers,
>Dave Hart
Dave:

This is where I got mine from a couple months back. Came made
correctly and well done and plug in ready to go. I'd highly recommend
him, he does high quality work and sells good product. As someone who
can't do that type of work and is also a consultant (ie time and my
skills are what I sell basically) I have no problem paying someone for
theirs.

--
===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX
georgek at netwrx1.com
ICQ #12862186