[ntp:questions] ntpdate works, but ntpd doesn't (reach = 0)

Rob nomail at example.com
Tue Jan 27 17:55:05 UTC 2009

David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> Unruh wrote:
>> controlled by you. Eg, your ISP could decide that only port 80 outbound and
>> nothing inbound except reply ports is open.
>
> That is more likely of an employer than a service provider (I wouldn't
> call a service provider who doesn't even support non-standard HTTP ports
> a web service provider, let alone an internet service one).
>
> In any case, such a restrictive service provider is unlikely to open
> port 80/UDP.
>
> Employers' IT deparments will usually open ports if you can make a
> sensible case.

Of course within a company network you expect one or more NTP servers
to be present inside of the firewall, and you should query those instead
of attempting to query outside servers.  When no such servers are available
it would be more sensible to request them to be installed than to open
ports to the outside.