[ntp:questions] Learnings: FC8 Linux ntpd syncs to NMEA message but not PPS

Folkert van Heusden folkert at vanheusden.com
Thu Jan 29 21:40:13 UTC 2009

> > PPS (127.127.28.0) working.  You can have NMEA or PPS from your serial
> > input, you just can't have both at the same time from the same GPS on the
> > same port.
>
> There is no reason why you could not have both, except that the programs (eg
> shmpps) has not been written to use both. It is as far as I can see, purely a
> software issue.

Correct.
I use the pps patch by rodolpho giometti together with udo van den
heuvel's patch to ntpd. Now my ntp syncs to both the nmea and the pps
part of my garmin:
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*GPS_NMEA(1)     .GPS.            0 l    3   16  377    0.000   -0.004   0.000

Folkert van Heusden

--
MultiTail is a versatile tool for watching logfiles and output of
commands. Filtering, coloring, merging, diff-view, etc.