[ntp:questions] Keeping NTP Honest

Unruh unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca
Wed Jul 15 20:50:40 UTC 2009

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> writes:

>David Woolley wrote:
>> David J Taylor wrote:
>>> John Hasler wrote:
>>> []
>>>
>>> If I were paying my money, I would rather it went towards improving
>>> the official NTP, to be honest.
>>
>> Such improvements are unlikely as it turns out that the subject of this
>> thread is an area where Dave Mills refuses to acknowledge a problem.

>There is no problem unless you insist on shutting down your system
>frequently.

I disagree.
a) Some people have no choice. They must shut down their system
frequently. They do not "insist" on it, anymore than you insist on
breathing.

b)There is a problem even without that. TEsts I did showed that chrony
has a better clock discipline by about a factor of 3. Lichvar claims
that running a gps refclock with chrony vs ntp, chrony does better by a
factor of 20 using the same poll interval. Now, if you believe that ntp
being suboptimal by a factor of 3 or 20 indicates "no problem", ....