[ntp:questions] NTP Performance on WINNT

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 17:07:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:57 PM, paul wrote:
> Hi All, I'm new to NTP, glad to meet you here.
>
> I did some experiments to test NTP performance on WINNT.
[...]
> The OS is Windows XP Pro SP3 and NTP software is 4.2.4-p7 from
> mainberg.
> http://www.meinberg.de/download/ntp/windows/ntp-4.2.4p7@copenhagen-o-win32-setup.exe

4.2.4p7 is the latest build of NTP from the -stable tree, but it lacks
the improved interpolation David Taylor refers to.  You should see
substantially better performance if you repeat your experiment using
more recent Windows binaries built from 4.2.5.  You can find a
selection at http://davehart.net/ntp/win/x86

The .zip files there do not have any installer, simply "net stop ntp"
and replace the binaries installed by Meinberg (you might want to save
a copy first so you can revert easily).

See http://bugs.ntp.org/216 for more about the new interpolation code
introduced around 4.2.5p160.

Cheers,