[ntp:questions] Local (own site) NTP servers.

Dave Baxter g8kbv at nospam.uko2.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 11:28:19 UTC 2009

In article <4a68f2e9$0$31032$5a6aecb4 at news.aaisp.net.uk>,
david at ex.djwhome.demon.co.uk.invalid says...
> G8KBV wrote:
> > Wonder if this will get posed, or returned to me..
>
> As far as I know, Google groups rejects synchronously.  A direct NNTP
> client certainly would.
> >
> > So...  I'm about to try a couple of Windows "solutions"
> > (opportunities)  One the "Tardis" program, that would appear
>
> Unless you are using an MS-DOS based Windows (ME was the last) I can see
> no point whatsoever in using a shareware program with unknown internals
> when the official version of NTP is available as open source!  There is
> no certainty about the internals of Tardis, but it is quite likely no
> better than recent versions of w32time (when configured properly, rather
> than out of the box) which has been supplied, bundled with NT based
> versions of Windows, for many years.  w32time doesn't support local
> reference clocks, or PPS.
>
> The prime designer of ntpd is a radio amateur.

:-)  Nice to know!...

Thanks for lots to think about David.

Yes, for Faros, I'm locked into Windows.  I have thought about
virtualising things, but I also know Faros *Needs* almost direct control
of the soundcard to get good timing information as to when a signal
arrives.

The NTP problem, is because my ISP (Demon) has been bought out by C&W,
and they are continualy messing with the network.  Resulting in ping
latences of nearly 2 seconds at times during the day.  Even worse, that
varies ping to ping, so what chance protocols like NTP?   When I first
found the problem, and (after checking all my kit) contacted their
support peeps, they asked "What's NTP?".

I'm not the only one affected, others are too, perhaps to a much lesser
extent, and also in different ways.

Anyway, lots here (NTP wise) to digest and think about.

Many thanks.

Dave B
G0WBX.