[ntp:questions] Local (own site) NTP servers.

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Sat Jul 25 17:47:42 UTC 2009

Dave Baxter wrote:
> The NTP problem, is because my ISP (Demon) has been bought out by C&W,
> and they are continualy messing with the network.  Resulting in ping
> latences of nearly 2 seconds at times during the day.  Even worse, that
> varies ping to ping, so what chance protocols like NTP?   When I first
> found the problem, and (after checking all my kit) contacted their
> support peeps, they asked "What's NTP?".
>
> I'm not the only one affected, others are too, perhaps to a much lesser
> extent, and also in different ways.

Ping uses ICMP and it is possible that they will block them while NTP
uses UDP and would not normally be blocked though with ISP's you never
know. Your best bet, given the circumstances, is to get a refclock and
install it on one of your systems. That at least will ensure that you
have good time synchronization. There are a number of people in the UK
like Dave Taylor, Dave Woolley, Jonathan Buzzard, etc. who run refclocks
and can give you a better idea of what one would cost there and how to
set them up. You might want to consider that route.

Danny

believed to be clean.