[ntp:questions] Solaris 8 xntpd vs ntpd?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Jul 27 20:59:09 UTC 2009

On 2009-07-27, Lockon <sunilgupta65 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would appreciate if someone could tell me the reason to use the
> freeware ntpd

What you are referring to as the "freeware ntpd" is actually The NTP
Reference Implementation from The NTP Project at the University of
Delaware. This is the original, and definitive, implementation of NTP.

The NTP Project home-page is http://www.ntp.org/

> rather than xntpd that is built into Solaris 8.

The "xntpd" in Solaris 8 is based on NTP 3.x from The NTP Project and
uses NTP Protocol version 3. This version of NTP is no longer maintained by
The  NTP Project.

The current releases of The NTP Reference Implementation utilize NTP
Protocol version 4 and include many refinements, enhancements, and bug
fixes not present in earlier releases. The current releases are:

	* Stable: ntp-4.2.4p7 2009/05/18
	* Development: ntp-dev-4.2.5p195 2009/07/27

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>