[ntp:questions] .1 Microsecond Synchronization

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Fri Jun 5 21:00:54 UTC 2009

Rob wrote:
> Unruh <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> No it requires the network to send the time when requested. Eg, Rogers
>> in Canada (GSM) does deliver the time but I have no idea what its
>> accuracy is.
>
> How dumb...  something like time-of-day should be broadcast just like
> cell broadcast and everyone would be able to receive it without any
> requesting.
> Still I think I have read it is manufacturer specific.  Rogers may be
> using Nokia equipment in their network.

It is both phone and network dependent:

I.e. all my Nokia phones have a configuration setting that was default
off; when set on it would allow the time to be set by the currently
connected network.

I some countries and on some network this does work, on others it
doesn't, and on some of those where it does "work", the resulting time
can be a minute or two off. :-(

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>