[ntp:questions] ntpd on dial up machine: no DNS resolving => giving up on all servers

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists Null at BlackList.Griffin-Technologies.invalid
Sun Jun 7 22:13:00 UTC 2009

Arno Wald wrote:
 > i am using ntpd (4.2.4p6+dfsg-1; debian/sid) on a PC with
 >  dial up connection.  The PC is not online at boot time,
 >  but is turned online manually when required via pppd.
 >
 > ntpd is started at boot time and automatically can handle
 >   interfaces that are brought up or down while ntpd is
 >   running since 4.2.4p0+dfsg-1.
 >  But the problem is, that ntpd cannot resolve the
 >   ntp-server names at startup (because the PC is offline)
 >   and gives up on them.
 >  When the ppp interface is brough up, ntpd does recognize
 >   this, but does not retry to resolve the servers.
 >
 > I cannot find a configuration option to change this.
 > Is there something I can do to make ntpd look up the
 >  servers again when the PC is going online?

Would the (not currently implemented) dynamic option help with
  that?  Perhaps used with the preempt option?

  e.g. server ntp.netcologne.de dynamic preempt
    or pool pool.ntp.org dynamic preempt

--
E-Mail Sent to this address <BlackList at Griffin-Technologies.net>
  will be added to the BlackLists.