[ntp:questions] NMEA ref.clock better than my ISP's timeserver?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Thu Jun 11 08:11:50 UTC 2009

David J Taylor wrote:
> David Lord wrote:
> []
>> I eventually ordered from gpsw.co.uk, UKP 71.02 inclusive. I'd
>> searched their site prior to trying the US ones and not been able to
>> locate the GPS 18x-LVC and only went back after it being confirmed
>> here they stocked the product.
>
> I also ordered from  GPS warehouse and it arrived very quickly.
>  http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2402.html
>
>> I've not yet connected the GPS 18x as still thinking about where to
>> mount it. I previously tried with a BR304 without pps and had 80%
>> of time +/- 25ms, much worse than for time from internet whilst a
>> Conrad DCF module used over a few days gave 80% at +/- 2ms, better
>> than expected, but both BR304 and DCF have reception difficulties.
>>
>> David
>
> Mine is now sitting indoors, near the roof of an upstairs room.  It's a
> lot more sensitive than the plain "18" model, so I'm trying it indoors
> rather than on the roof  (where my 18 lives).  It's a backup, and
> working into a rather poor Windows box, but keeping generally within 0.5ms.
>
>  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/stamsund_ntp_2.html
>
> I couldn't see any change between the outdoors 18 and the indoors 18x on
> that PC.  The changeover was on Friday, May 22, week 21 - spot any
> difference?

Late last night I got round to connecting the Garmin GPS18x-LVC and
just after midnight it stepped from around 60s to 0.5ms and 8 hours
later is between -74us and +62us. The module is in south facing
upstairs window in same location I failed to get anything useful
from the Globalsat BR304. Now I need to make a 30m extender cable to
get the signals downstairs to back of house to connect to servers.

David