[ntp:questions] NMEA ref.clock better than my ISP's timeserver?

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:03:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM, David Lord<snews at lordynet.org> wrote:

>> Which NMEA driver?
>
> Type 20, and from driver20.html it does appear the driver outputs
> a request if there is no sentence input from the gps.

The NMEA driver does write a sentence to the serial port once per
second, whether or not it's heard anything back.  However, you can
safely ignore that and not wire the PC->GPS serial lines, as the
sentence written is only understood by some ancient Motorola GPS which
apparently could not be set up to transmit automatically once per
second.  I'm sure your Garmin would not miss the input.

Cheers,
Dave Hart