[ntp:questions] Stratum 1 servers in pools?!?

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Jun 16 02:39:45 UTC 2009

On 2009-06-15, Rich <richwales at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since (as I understand) end-user clients should avoid dealing directly
> with stratum-1 servers, I assume this probably isn't as it should be.
> Is it, in fact, proper for a stratum-1 server to be registered as part
> of a pool?

Yes, if that's what the operator wants to do with their time server.

Of course, not all "stratum-1 time servers" are equal.

Some time servers will rely solely on thier locally attached ref-clock.
While others will be configured with remote time servers in addition to
the ref-clock.

Please visit http://www.pool.ntp.org/ for NTP Pool contact information.

> Should I consider doing something in my ntp.conf so as to avoid
> bothering a server from a pool if it happens to be in stratum 1?

If a time server is a member of the NTP Pool you are not "bothering it"
by using it.

You should ensure that you are polling an adequate number of time
servers (i.e. no less than 4).

And you should refrain from hard-coding any Pool Server's IP address in
your ntp.conf.

If you are concerned about the servers you are acquiring from the Pool,
you may wish to consult the Public Stratum-2 Time Server List, at
http://support.ntp.org/s2, to select time servers in your geographic
area.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>