[ntp:questions] Cannot sync on embedded PPC running Linux

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Jun 16 13:08:42 UTC 2009

Andrea,

gizero wrote:
> I'm trying to run ntpd 4.2.4p7 on a ppc embedded system running Linux/
> 2.6.24.6. I'm not very accustomed to using NTP daemon, hence I'm
> looking for some help in debugging the system, which appear to be
> unable to sync with a public NTP server.
[...]
> What make me suspicious is the result of the query:
>
> ~ $ ntpq -c peer -c as -c rl
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
> offset  jitter

>  h180.argonavis. 62.173.184.58    3 u   19   64    1   10.282
> -712292   0.001

"reach" is only "1" here, so your NTP client has just polled the upstream
server once. However, ntpd only synchronizes to a time source after a
couple of successfull pollings, so I think you just have to wait a few
minutes (a few 64s intervals).

You can speed up initial synchronization if you add the "iburst" keyword to
your serverline in ntp.conf, i.e.:

server it.pool.ntp.org iburst

Regards,

Martin