[ntp:questions] ntpdate

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Jun 16 19:57:55 UTC 2009

A few basic usage questions:

1) Running `ntpd -qgd` as a non root users returns nothing.  It
appears to immediately exit.  Is this correct behavior, or should I
get some warning message to change users?

2) `ntpdate -u` on the other hand, does warn me:
16 Jun 12:29:09 ntpdate[43457]: step-systime: Operation not permitted

3) I learned that my colocation provider was blocking port 123 to the
time server I was using, in my case, time.apple.com.  What I do not
understand, is why ntpdate -u was able to work, with those blocks in
place, but ntpd -qg which from the man page, appears to be the
suggested method to achieve the same result, did not work.  ntpdate
also seems to be significantly faster at in comparing the two commands.

I have port 123 open now, and things seem to be working command wise.
I will shove the new command into my schedule, and see what happens
the next time a panic appears.

Thank you all.