[ntp:questions] What to do about broken IPv6 sites

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Jun 19 18:39:56 UTC 2009

Allen Kistler <ackistler at oohay.moc> wrote:
> For example, http://www.ntp.org.

> NTP.org has a perfectly good IPv4 site, but the IPv6 site doesn't
> answer to SYNs.  I have no problem with other IPv6 sites, but maybe
> I'll find some in the future.

> Since RFC-compliant behavior is to try the IPv6 address first, I
> have to timeout on every page element before switching to IPv4.

> I was wondering what the options are to deal with the situation.  I
> don't have control of the ntp.org DNS domain (or any other broken
> domains I might find).  Keeping a list in iptables for special
> behaviors for specific IPv6 addresses really isn't attractive.

> As more sites put up IPv6 versions, I expect there to be a lot of
> brokenness that won't be a high priority to fix as long as 99% of
> everybody is still on IPv4.  What's the most manageable way to deal
> with this?

I don't know about the general question, but there are likely folks in
comp.protocols.time.ntp who know about the www.ntp.org site and its
IPv6 status, so lets redirect the specific issue there. (I've set the
Followup-to: header on this post to that end)

rick jones
--
I don't interest myself in "why". I think more often in terms of
"when", sometimes "where"; always "how much."  - Joubert