[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP Software--Time Accuracy

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Mon Jun 22 05:14:33 UTC 2009

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
[]
> I'd guess that someone installed NTPD and neglected to configure it.
> I've never rung NTPD on Windows so I'm hazy on the details of
> configuring it on Windows.

The Meinberg installation includes configuration by default, using some
pool servers.

> Most other systems have a file somewhere call ntp.conf which contains
> four or more "server" statements; each one pointing to a server to be
> used by ntpd.  These statements look like
>
> server server_name.domain iburst
> server another_name.domain iburst
> server <IP address> iburst
> server . . . .
>
> It's customary to specify four, five, or seven servers.  Ten is the
> absolute maximum.  Four should be sufficient for most.  "iburst" tells
> ntpd to send the first eight queries at intervals of two seconds. After
> the initial "burst" ntpd will query the server at intervals
> ranging from 64 seconds to 1024 seconds depending on how long it has
> been running and the quality of the time it is getting.

To expand on Richard's commenets, look for the file:

  C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp.conf

It should have a few lines like:

  server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst
  server 1.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst

but you may have something different from "uk" depending what you asked
for at installation time.

Cheers,
David