[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP Software--Time Accuracy

Rob nomail at example.com
Tue Jun 23 16:20:16 UTC 2009

David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> When I used FreeBSD, I had to rebuild the kernel to get the PPS support.
> Not quite double-click and go!

On Linux, and probably also FreeBSD, you can install the package gpsd
alongside ntpd and have PPS support without rebuilding te kernel.

Of course it will not be as good because it lives in a user process,
but when the machine is not overloaded it works reasonably well.  The
configuration for this setup is quite simple, and an added bonus is
that you can have other applications that get the GPS info.
(like a tracker)