[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP Software--Time Accuracy

Todd Glassey CISM CIFI tglassey at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 24 15:21:40 UTC 2009

David J Taylor wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
> []
>
>> You may find Ntp running on one of their mail or DNS servers, though.
>>

> Yes, my ISP has that, as well as "official" NTP servers, but at one stage
> they were not well maintained.  In the UK and Europe, I can recommend
> servers at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester Universities, and that at
> Trinity College, Dublin.  Check the lists for access policies, of course.
>
> Your ISP may call the servers ntp0.isp.com ntp1.isp.com rather than a
> plain "ntp".
>
> BTW: I tend not to trust servers which don't answer an "ntpq -p <server>"
> request, but that's probably just me!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Outsourcing time services without having them meet the same service
requirements for formally outsourcing *** ANYTHING *** is a no-no.

So you dont take time from people you don't know and who's operations
models don't meet those that you are required to operate under. That's
it - no arguments are possible for this and the Audit Community will get
formally dinged if they dont enforce this, especially in the EU where
there are specific requirements for the operation of a time-stamping
service of *** any *** type as a public offering, meaning NTP operators
would be liable.

And by the way - there may be criminal penalties for intentionally
violating this as well in all of the EU member nations.

Todd Glassey