[ntp:questions] http://www.ntp.org/ => a blank page?

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Mar 4 20:38:08 UTC 2009

Harlan,

I never made the DNS request myself, but I might have rubberstamped a
request from you without looking closely at it. My fault, not yours.

We have had this discussion before, so let me repeat the rules. The home
page for ntp.org lives here and nowhere else (but, see below). The
software itself, including archives and the project page live here and
nowhere else This is purely for security purposes. Any of this stuff can
be mirrored anywhere else and any claims for authenticity
notwithstanding.. But, if you get it from here via ntp.org, it's the
real stuff and there are professional folks here responsible for the
care and upkeep of the hardware, including tens of terabyres of RAID 5
and huge backup farms.

I've always been happy to have the public services project hosted
elsewhere. All I care about is the point of entry - the home page - and
the software and archives. If you choose to host the home page elsewhere
for redundancy, you must promise that the mirrored pages are exactly the
same.

The host machine for ntp.org is one of several virtual machines on our
huge departmet server farm. We are in the midst of a software  upgrade
that may have taken the farm down for a few hours. We have had a couple
of power outs over the last couple of years, but the farm has been lit
all the time. The UDel campus infrastructure is massively sollid, as is
our Internet-2 connectivity. Outside the I-2 community we use a local
ISP that has been quite reliable, not like the bad old days. I did a
traceroute to google.com and am astonished at how good things look. We
used to use a DS3 circuit to the ISP, but I can see it's now faster than
that.

Dave