[ntp:questions] http://www.ntp.org/ => a blank page?

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 9 18:32:39 UTC 2009

Rod Dorman wrote:
> In article <3Yednarq2tFIxSjUnZ2dnUVZ_r3inZ2d at giganews.com>,
> Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I could set up my own DNS server but what would be the point?  A hosts
>> file provides the addresses of the nodes on my RFC-1918 private network.
>> The rest of the world, I would have to get from Comcast in any case.
>
> Why?  Does Comcast block DNS requests to other than their DNS servers?

AFAIK, Comcast does not block access to other DNS servers.  The point I
was trying to make is that even with a DNS server of my own I would have
to go to an upstream server for everything I needed.  If I had more
computers and users, I might consider setting up at least a caching
server.  As matters stand, I would gain nothing by doing so.  I pay
Comcast for, among other things, the use of their DNS servers.  I pay
the same whether I use them or not!