[ntp:questions] best gps receiver for time synchronization

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 21:39:43 UTC 2009

On Mar 11, 8:48 pm, Augustine <evan... at mailinator.com> wrote:

> Is the system timer always 1024Hz?

Windows timeBeginPeriod multimedia timer resolution manipulation
accepts millisecond units, so the fastest you can crank is 1000Hz.
That's what the ntpd -M workaround does.  As an aside, one Vista
machine of mine has a system clock that increments every 500us, so
obviously something internal is working faster.  With the exception of
SetWaitableTimer, Windows APIs regarding timers only have 1ms units.
SetWaitableTimer has 100ns units, but in my experience is still
limited to 1ms in use.

> Should perhaps the Meinberg
> installer add /timeres=9766 in BOOT.INI?

I don't know what effect /timerres=9766 would have on a windows
boot.ini entry but I'm still sure Meinberg's installer shouldn't be
touching it.  I understand why AMD's workaround driver slams /
usepmtimer in there.  At least the user knew they were installing an
update for a core component.  I can't imagine a scenario where
installing ntpd should change boot.ini.

Cheers,
Dave Hart