[ntp:questions] What exactly does "Maximum Distance Exceded" mean?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Mar 16 16:53:17 UTC 2009

>>> In article <joegwinn-6FD03A.17481615032009 at news.giganews.com>, Joseph Gwinn <joegwinn at comcast.net> writes:

>>  I think you are talking about one of my pet peeves:
>>
>> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/NtpVariablesAndNtpq

Joseph> I don't think that I have inconsistent versions of ntpd and ntpq,
Joseph> because both came off the same CD from Sun Microsystems.

It's still the same beast.  The bottom line is we currently have opaque data
being presented to the user, and that is either being offered directly to
the user (in your case) or is being potentially mis-converted by ntpq.

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
http://ntpforum.isc.org  - be a member!