[ntp:questions] refclock on Windows graphs

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Fri Mar 20 19:56:30 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-20, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Steve Kostecke wrote:
>
>> How about http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-rrd.en.html ?
>
> That's most helpful, thanks very much. However, it includes the
> show-stopper statement that: "mrtg will not create any webpages
> of graphs anymore".

Read a little further down that page ...

"The advantage of whole thing is that the mrtg will become much faster.
Expect the runtime to drop to 20% of the previous value."

"The idea behind this is that it is more efficient to create graphs and
webpages on demand by using a cgi script."

Finally, _3_ CGI scripts are presented for your use:

1. routers2.cgi - http://www.steveshipway.org/software/

2. One4All aka 14all.cgi - http://my14all.sourceforge.net/

3. mrtg-rrd - http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/mrtg-rrd/

> Unfortunately, I rely on those Web pages and PNG graphs as my primary
> way of working, copying them between PCs, uploading them to my Web
> server, for example,

Your graphs suffer from legibility problems due to limitations inherent
in the current version of MTRG.

The solution to solve your problem, while providing the same
functionality, is there. You just have to make the choice.

Horse <--> water ...

> so changing to RRDtool will not be a simple task (at best) and may be
> impossible (at worst).

That's a rather defeatist attitude.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>