[ntp:questions] Stick to PPS, even if the prefer server fails

David Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Mar 23 03:22:57 UTC 2009

Dave,

Once the kernel PPS is lit, it will stay lit even if the daemon loses
the prefered soure or even dies.This is the intended behavior, which I
confirmed just now. Veriy that  ntptime shows PPSTIME lit after the
daemon loses the prefer peer or is stopped.

By the way, with just a remote peer and PPS, the intersection algorithm
is quite picky if the remote peer strays a bit. Use tinker mindisp to
something higher, like .05 s.

Dave