[ntp:questions] can i use w32time to syncronise in a non domain scenario - windows2003

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Tue Mar 31 13:52:01 UTC 2009

On 2009-03-31, droodle <droodleskins at hotmail.com> wrote:

> do you know if [the windows port of NTP] can be configured just to
> syncronise to its cmos clock

ntpd _never_ "syncs to [a] clock".

ntpd _can_ be configured to use an Undisciplined Local Clock driver
which allows it to pretend to be synced to a time source. In that case
ntpd just serves time from the freewheeling system clock.

> as i'm not sure how tied down my customers network will be ie not
> internet facing.

If time is important to their application they should budget for an
appropriate time reference (e.g. GPS, HF radio, Rb Oscillator, etc.).

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>