[ntp:questions] Setting the COM port for the NMEA driver

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.not-this-part.nor-this.co.uk.invalid
Thu May 14 19:18:59 UTC 2009

Dave Hart wrote:
> On May 14, 7:27 am, "David J Taylor" wrote:
>> It would indeed be interesting to see how well it performed, either
>> with FreeBSD or with Windows. I don't know if a USB/GPS driver is
>> available with the present version of NTP.
>
> No special driver is required for USB GPS receivers which present as
> standard serial devices and can be configured to generate a supported
> NMEA sentence once per second.  I know of one person who tested this
> approach on Windows, and as I recall the performance was worse than
> internet sources with that particular hardware.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave Hart

Dave,

I believe that my GPS (for example) does not present itself in this way (I
don't see it listed as a COM port device), so I wondered whether a special
driver might be required for it.  Completely agreed that if it /does/
appear as a serial port, no problems.  You would still miss out on the PPS
line, though, wouldn't you?

Cheers,
David