[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.5p180 adds IPv6 support on Windows

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Sun May 31 07:09:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Danny Mayer <mayer at ntp.org> wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> 30/05/2009 06:37:45 NTP Error None 1 N/A BACCHUS setsockopt(208,
>> SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE, on): Invalid argument
>
> I remember seeing that too on my Windows 2000 server as well but I
> didn't get around to looking at it before. That's because Dave created
> an ifdef around the function call. However it's always defined for
> Windows because he defined it in config.h. What is really needed here is
> a run-time check for Windows version to see if it can be set. However
> this was first made available in NT 4.0 SP4 so it should be supported
> and I don't see why it would fail in this way. I think that the real
> reason for this problem is that it is not available to anyone but
> admistrators before XP.

I think Danny put his finger on it with the administrators group.  I
had forgotten that ugly little wrinkle.  I suspect the messages would
go away if David Taylor put his "ntp" user in the Administrators group
temporarily:

net localgroup administrators ntp /add

and to return to normal:

net localgroup administrators ntp /del

I'm not sure a runtime check is useful, though, except to decide at
runtime to not log this particular error code on systems earlier than
XP.   Attempting to set it still seems like the right thing to me.

Cheers,
Dave Hart