[ntp:questions] NTP absolute accuracy?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Mon Nov 2 10:41:38 UTC 2009

Maarten Wiltink wrote:
> "Unruh" <unruh-spam at physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
> news:IEbHm.50125$Db2.41863 at edtnps83...
> [...]
>> The problem is that I have no idea what the accuracy of any of those
>> items is. YOur ISP's timesever may be a stratum 7 getting time from
>> a bunch of bozos. Or itmay be stratum 1 getting its time from a well
>> implimented GPS clock.
>
> "ntpq -p" will tell you that. And ntptrace does exactly that, climbing
> the chain up from you to stratum 1.

I used ntptrace on about 20 different public servers and
have cut that list down to those that are closest and have
most diverse sources. Nowadays from here, using uk pool is
as good a method as any unless your server is in the pool
which is why I've gone back to my previous selection, but
unfortunately that list keeps getting shorter as servers
are taken out of service and not replaced.

David