[ntp:questions] Manycast

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Mon Nov 2 20:51:39 UTC 2009

On 2009-11-02, Evandro Menezes <evandro at mailinator.com> wrote:

> So, I'm trying to figure out how to get manycast working, so I set up
> 3 computers to be clients:

I suggest that you start with the server and _one_ client. Once you have
that working then you can implement your manycast-orphan cloud.

And, before you start, comment out your restrict lines.

> disable auth

Don't do this. Just use symmetric key authentication.

Each of the many cast systems needs a common ntp.keys file. Something
like this will work:

--------8X--------
1 M my_lame_password
--------8X--------

Then each system needs the following lines in ntp.conf:

--------8X--------
keys    /etc/ntp.keys
trustedkey 1

So the the client needs:

# Manycast client ntp.conf
#
driftfile /some/where/ntp.drift
keys /etc/ntp.keys
trustedkey 1
manycastclient 224.0.1.1 key1
--------8X--------

And the server needs:

--------8X--------
# Manycast server ntp.conf
#
driftfile /some/where/ntp.drift
keys /etc/ntp.keys
trustedkey 1
manycastserver 224.0.1.1
server ... iburst
server ... iburst
server ... iburst
server ... iburst
--------8X--------

When you decide to create a cloud replace the single manycast* line on
all of the systems with:

--------8X--------
tos orphan 8
manycastclient 224.0.1.1 key 1
manycastserver 224.0.1.1

Also ensure that your routing table shows (Linux shown below):

Kernel IP routing table
Destination  Gateway  Genmask    Flags Metric Ref  Use Iface
224.0.0.0    0.0.0.0  240.0.0.0  U     0      0      0 eth0

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>