[ntp:questions] Did we ever get NTP running under Cygwin32

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 17:39:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:09 PM, todd glassey wrote:
> As I remember Sven was working on this - did we ever get it completed and if
> so where is the documentation on it?

I don't believe so.  There is very little evidence in the code, just a
few tidbits in headers and configure.ac.  The major issue is likely to
be adjtime()/SetSystemTimeAdjustment().  cygwin32 likely lacks code to
implement adjtime() using Windows' SetSystemTimeAdjustment().
Undoubtedly there would many minor kinks to work out as well.  I know
of another cygwin-based program which on Windows Vista tends to fail
before starting main() in cygwin's heap initialization code, unless
you've restarted recently.  My guess is it's being fouled by "address
space layout randomization" causing DLLs to be located in the address
space cygwin wants to pre-reserve for a simple classic sbrk()-based
malloc().  One would probably spend most of the effort of such a
project fixing and extending cygwin32, with relatively few changes
required to the NTP code.

Cheers,
Dave Hart