[ntp:questions] Stratum 1 configuration hints

shane-dated-2009 at csy.ca shane-dated-2009 at csy.ca
Thu Nov 12 20:20:15 UTC 2009

>Check your contract with your ISP.  Mine prohibits operating a server!

I'm good on that account.

>If you are allowed to operate a server, for every thrifty, clean, brave,
>reverent and honest person who wants to use your server there will be
>fifty to one hundred who are not so qualified!  At last report, there
>were several hundred thousand idiots each of whom were banging on the
>NIST NTP servers every two seconds!  Perhaps 0.01% of these are serving
>the time so obtained to others.

Hmm, that's good to know. So takeaway here is listing as a public server may
not be such a good idea. Although, I could see doing it using if autokey so
a client would fetch the key and get authenticated time. It's a hoop to jump
through for sure but I'm guessing the abusive clients of which you speak
wouldn't do this. I wonder why the abused stratum 1 servers don't do
something like that.

Shane